Friday, September 12, 2008

It's freakin' me out, man!

SO. My new favorite show is True Blood. It's absolutely fantastic!!! (On HBO at 9 CST in case you're wondering... :D) Plus I'm a total vampire whore. <333 I'd say I blame Stephenie Meyer, but honestly, I've always loved vampires. I was a vampire princess for Halloween my freshman year of high school. I wanted to see Interview with the Vampire for THE LONGEST time. The list goes on and on. I guess I never really got into it because my parents would always freak out about that kind of thing. They freaked when I became friends with a goth girl and started reading manga and watching anime. But whatev.

Anywho, so I was driving back to my apartment after watching True Blood (we don't have cable at the apartment, so I watch it at my parents' before driving back... I still come home every weekend...) and this idea popped into my head. It's not like I made it up. It just hit me as I was speeding into Omaha. And before I knew it, the characters were forming in my mind. The basics of the plot were beginning to unfold. I had my main character, her background, and her appearance mapped out before I stepped into my apartment. And then I started writing details. I stayed up until 1:00 in the morning writing stuff, randomly researching different subjects for no apparent reason, etc.

This was last Sunday. Since then, I find my mind drifting back to my idea. More details about her hometown float through my mind and I find myself going "Ohhhh! Well, that makes sense." It's like I'm not even writing it; it's like someone is telling the story to me piece by piece.

And it gets WEIRDER. I was struggling with names. I wanted my main character to have a common name that's not used very often anymore... More of a grandmother's name, not a teenager's name. So I was toying around with stuff like Prudence, but I REALLY liked the name Iris. So I thought to myself, "Okay, she'll be Iris." Then I thought of the name Marjorie (btw... thanks, Marjorie Fair! XD). I was going to switch it. I promise you I was going to switch it to Marjorie. But on my way back to my parents' after work, I heard two songs on the radio that fit my characters EXACTLY. It was freaky. One was "Everywhere" by Michelle Branch. And the second one I didn't know the name of! It was bothering the crap out of me, so about ten minutes ago I googled the lyrics that I'd managed to scribble on my hand while at a stop light. What was the song? Get ready for this 'cause it's crazy.

Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls.

I was freaking out. This song fits my vampire (oh, did I mention it's a vampire story? lol) SO WELL. It's creeping me out. It's like this story WANTS to be written. I don't know. I'll have to tell my friend/roommate Morgan about this... She's writing her own story. I'm editing/illustrating for her... :D But she'll get a kick out of this. Or tell me to start writing NOW. Haha.

0 comments: